Subcommittees and Current Assignments
Subcommittee 1: Warning Systems Controls.
- Responsible for updating AREMA C&S Manual Parts concerning warning system control circuits.
- Evaluating industry practices on the interconnection of grade crossing warning systems with nearby traffic signal intersections including the use of pre-signals.
- Responsible for development of new recommended practices for new grade crossing warning system technology.
- Responsible for review of grade crossing control product changes and safety improvements to ensure recommended practices are current with state of the practice.
Subcommittee 2: Warning System Installation and Maintenance.
- Responsible for updating AREMA C&S Manual Parts that are related to the installation and maintenance of warning systems.
- Develop a recommended practice for the layout and coverage of vehicle detection sub-systems
- Develop pathway grade crossing warning device layout recommendations, including the use of swing gates, and other pedestrian treatments. This effort needs to be coordinated with the standards and guidance recommendations being made in the pending MUTCD.
- Monitor FRA Activation Failure data to determine if changes in recommended practices are warranted to reduce malfunctions (on-going assignment).
Subcommittee 3: Warning System Equipment.
- Reviewing recent findings in the industry concerning in-rush currents in LED arrays causing catastrophic failures of relay contacts. The study will lead to revision to Design Criteria manual parts to mitigate the problems.